Incendo Pty Ltd. (we, us and our) is committed to managing personal information in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) No. 4 Of 2013.
This page sets out our policies for managing your personal information provided to us. It covers both information that could identify you and information that could not.
We regret that if there are one or more points below with which you are not happy, your only recourse is to leave our website immediately.
- the kinds of information that we may collect about you, how we collect that information and how that information is held; the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information;
- how you can access the personal information we hold about you and seek to correct such information;
- the way in which you can complain about a breach of your privacy and how we will handle that complaint.
We value our customers. We value your privacy. We will not sell your data. We only retain your data to serve you better.
What information does Incendo collect and hold about you?
Here is a list of the information we collect from you, either through our website or because you give it to us in some other way, and why it is necessary to collect it:
1. Basic identification and contact information, such as your name and contact details
This information is used:
- to provide you with the services which you request;
- for verifying your identity for security purposes;
- for marketing our services and products;
- information which does not identify any individual may be used in a general way by us or third parties, to provide class information, for example relating to demographics or usage of a particular page or service.
2. Market place information
When we obtain information from you specifically to enable you to buy a service offered on our web site by some other person, we assume that in giving us your information, you are also giving us permission to pass it to the relevant person.
3. Your domain name and e-mail address
Your domain name and e-mail address are recognised by our servers and the pages that you visit are recorded. We shall not under any circumstances divulge your e-mail address to any person who is not an employee or contractor of ours and who does not need to know, either generally or specifically.
This information is used:
- to correspond with you or deal with you as you expect;
- in a collective way not referable to any particular individual, for the purpose of quality control and improvement of our site;
- to send you news about the services to which you have signed up;
- to tell you about other of our services or services of sister web sites.
4. Information you post on our website
Information you send to us by posting to a forum or blog or in your advertisement is stored on our servers. We do not specifically use that information except to allow it to be read, but you will see in our terms and conditions that we reserve a right to use it in any way we decide.
5. Website usage information
6. Financial information relating only to your credit cards
This information is never taken by us either through our website or otherwise. At the point of payment, you are transferred to a secure page on the website of PayFast. That page may be dressed in our “livery”, but it is not controlled by us. Our staff and contractors never have access to it.
7. Business and personal information
This includes all information given to us in the course of your business and ours, such as information you give us in your capacity as our client. We undertake to preserve the confidentiality of the information and of the terms of our relationship. It is not used for any other purpose. We expect you to reciprocate this policy.
We keep information which forms part of our business record for minimum of six years. That is because we may need it in some way to support a claim or defense in court. That is also the period within which our tax collecting authorities may demand to know it.
- server address;
- top level domain name (for example.com, .gov, .co.za, etc.);
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded during your visit;
- the previous site you visited;
- if you have visited our website before; and
- the type of browser used.
If you do not wish to receive any cookies (other than those that are strictly necessary) you can manage your cookie settings here. However, in doing so, you may be unable to access certain pages or content on our website.
When we receive a complaint, we record all the information you have given to us. We use that information to resolve your complaint. If your complaint reasonably requires us to contact some other person, we may decide to give to that other person some of the information contained in your complaint. We do this as infrequently as possible, but it is a matter for our sole discretion as to whether we do give information, and, if we do, what that information is. We may also compile statistics showing information obtained from this source to assess the level of service we provide, but not in a way that could identify you or any other person.
10. Content you provide to us
If you provide information to us (e.g., catalogues and other marketing material or product information sheets) with a view to it being read, copied, downloaded or used by other people, we accept no responsibility for what that third party may do with it. It is up to you to satisfy yourself about the privacy level of every person who might see your information. If it is available to the entire world, you have no control whatever as to how it is used.
11. Information we obtain from third parties and third-party links
Although we do not disclose your personal information to any third party (except as set out in this notice), we do receive data which is indirectly made up from your personal information, from software services. No such information is identifiable to you.
Our website may contain links to third-party websites. Incendo is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of websites and service providers that are linked to our website. These links are provided for your convenience, and/or are necessary to provide certain Incendo products and services, and do not represent Incendo’s endorsement of any linked third-party website. We recommend that you review the privacy policies of these third parties prior to providing them with your personal information.
12. Affiliate information
This is information given to us by you in your capacity as an affiliate of us or a customer or client of ours. Such information is retained for business use only. We undertake to preserve the confidentiality of the information and of the terms of our relationship. It is not used for any other purpose. We expect any affiliate to agree to reciprocate this policy. As an exception to this, we have the right to disclose your first name and URL of your affiliate connection to other affiliates and to any other person or organisation, on and off site. The reason is solely to enable us to mention winners and others whose performance as an affiliate is in some way outstanding.
13. Prospective employees/applicants
We collect personal information when recruiting personnel, such as your name, title, date of birth, gender, contact details, qualifications and work history (including references and other information included in a resume or cover letter as part of the application process). Generally, we will collect this information directly from you.
We may also collect personal information from third parties in ways which you would expect (for example, from recruitment agencies or referees you have nominated). Before offering you a position, we may collect additional details such as your tax file number and superannuation information, and other information necessary to conduct background checks to determine your suitability for certain positions. We may also collect relevant information from third party sources such as LinkedIn and other professional websites.
How Incendo collects personal information
We collect your personal information directly from you when you register an account with us or use our web shop. We may also collect personal information from you when you participate in conferences or attend professional development days organised or facilitated by us or enter into a competition or trade promotion through our website or through forms at our workshops, conferences or professional development days.
When obtaining your personal information (e.g. google) to provide a possible service to you, for which we do not yet have your consent, we will contact you through an “opt-in” option to obtain your consent.
Sometimes we may need to collect information about you from third parties, such as credit reporting agencies and past employers and referees. We may be provided with contact lists containing your personal information from a third party such as your company head office, industry associations, industry consultants or education departments, provided that we have obtained express consent from that third party to use your personal information.
We will only collect your personal information from third parties where:
- you have consented to such collection;
- such collection is necessary to enable us to provide you with our teaching resources and education supplies; or
- it is legally permissible for us to do.
We will only collect information which is necessary to provide you with our resources, products and services, or to appropriately manage and conduct our business.
How Incendo uses your personal information, and how it may be disclosed
We only use personal information to facilitate use of our website, resources, products and services (the primary purpose), unless:
- you have given your consent for your personal information to be used for a secondary purpose; or
- we are required or authorised by law to use your personal information for a secondary purpose, including for research and quality improvement with our website, resources, products and services, for user-support and trouble-shooting, and to comply with our statutory and other obligations.
- For example, we may use and/or disclose your personal information to:
- make our website available to you and provide you with our resources, products and services (including but not limited to teaching resources and education supplies);
- notify you of any of our services and goods of which we consider you may be reasonably interested;
- undertake credit checks as part of our credit application process;
- appropriately manage our business, including assessing insurance requirements and business processes, quality assurance programs,
- billing (in some cases, letting you know that an invoice or account is due for payment or renewal, and to arrange for it to be paid or renewed), improving our services, implementing appropriate security measures and training personnel;
- develop our conferences and professional development programs;
- administer trade promotions and competitions, and award prizes;
- assess your suitability to work within Incendo;
- effectively communicate with third parties, such as courier companies engaged to deliver any ordered products;
- manage any enquiries or complaints you have after you have used our website, resources, products or services;
- research, develop and expand our website, resources, products and services, including to develop insights from our interactions with you to enhance our offerings;
- analyse your interactions and use of our website, resources, products and services to understand the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives;
- maintain and improve our customer service by monitoring our service for quality control, quality and training purposes;
- manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and other business partners; and
- meet our regulatory and legal obligations.
We generally collect personal information directly from you. We may collect and update your personal information through our website, otherwise online, over the phone, by email, through social media, or in-person.
Use of personal information for direct marketing
At times, Incendo and its agents (including marketing and advertising agencies) may send information to market our website, resources, products and services, and those of our related bodies corporate, associates and business partners, which may be of interest to you and may be based on your purchasing history with us.
You can opt-out of receiving such marketing materials at any time, by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button in any promotional email sent to you, or (in the case of mail, telephone, SMS or social media marketing, by opting out in the manner specified in the communication (if applicable) or by contacting the Privacy Officer on the details set out below.
If we refer you to a third-party product or service provider (through our website, resources, products or services) and you register with or purchase products from that third-party, you agree that limited personal information about you may be shared between us and that third-party to facilitate any commissions or fees payable by that third-party to us.
What happens if you do not provide your personal information?
You can always decline to give Incendo any personal information we request, but that may mean we cannot provide you with some or all of the resources, products or services you have requested. If you have any concerns about personal information we have requested, please let us know.
Data storage and law
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information which is collected, used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up to date. All personal information is stored by us securely in physical or electronic form.
We generally collect personal information about you in South Africa and your personal information is stored within South Africa. However, your personal information may be disclosed to overseas recipients including service providers who may handle, process or store your personal information on our behalf.
We only ever disclose your personal information outside the jurisdiction from which it was collected where we are permitted to do so under applicable privacy laws. Generally, this means we will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is treated securely and in accordance with applicable privacy laws.
Disclosure to Government and their agencies. We are subject to the law like everyone else. We may be required to give information to legal authorities if they so request or if they have the proper authorisation such as a search warrant or court order.
How you can access, seek correction or remove your personal information
You are entitled to access your personal information held by Incendo on request.
To request access to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact details set out below. To better safeguard your information, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access or making corrections to your information.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You can assist us by notifying us if there are errors or discrepancies in information we hold about you, or if your personal details change. To modify information on our online shop, please login to your account and change as necessary.
If you wish us to remove personally identifiable information from our website, you can manage it within our cookie manager.
We keep information which forms part of our business record for minimum of six years. That is because we may need it in some way to support a claim or defence in court. That is also the period within which our tax collecting authorities may demand to know it.
Questions and complaints
You may make a complaint about privacy to the Privacy Officer at the contact details set out below.
The Privacy Officer will first consider your complaint to determine whether there are simple or immediate steps which can be taken to resolve the complaint. We will generally respond to your complaint within one week.
If your complaint requires more detailed consideration or investigation, we will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within one week and endeavour to complete our investigation into your complaint promptly. We may ask you to provide further information about your complaint and the outcome you are seeking. We will then typically gather relevant facts, locate and review relevant documents and speak with individuals involved.
How you can contact Incendo
Incendo Pty Ltd
Privacy Officer Email: [email protected]